Looking for allergy relief? And you’re on a budget, too? I know how you feel – I sneeze and cough sometimes because of always suffering from mild allergy symptoms.
If you’ve been wondering, “What are the best affordable air purifiers for allergies?” the good news is I’ve done the homework. I’d love to help you pick the best for your money but most of all, get relief!
I’ve done the research for you and I’ve found several of the best and most affordable models to pick from.
What kind of allergy-causing elements are in your air?
There are many types of allergy causing substances in the air we breathe:
- Plant pollen & by-products
- Dust mite substances (mite feces and body parts)
- Pet dander
- By-products of home construction or other materials
- Substances from outdoors such as fine dust
- Cigarette smoke residual particles
Many of these listed above are incredibly tiny in size – they’re often microscopic! It’s not just important, but critical that you have the right kind of air purifier that can eliminate these problems at their source.
If not, you’re going to continue to suffer from your allergies. I don’t want that to happen to you.
What are the different kinds of air purifiers?
Before spending any money you really should know what kind of air purifiers are sold today. If you make a bad choice you could potentially get little allergy relief, if any! Not to mention wasting your hard-earned money and times as well.
Products available today generally fall into one of two categories:
- Ozone generators or ionizers
- Filter-based purifiers
1. Ozone generators/ionizers
Image of a large ozone generator marketed and sold as an “air freshener” or “air purifier.” These produce large amounts of ozone in order to somewhat affect the air in a room but typically do not permanently remove and trap particles efficiently like a filter-based purifier does.
Air purifiers that work off of ozone generation use the principle of high voltage generation to create zone molecules or ionize (cause an electrostatic charge) in oxygen molecules in the surrounding air.
An ozone generator essentially generates ozone molecules that can bond to particles floating in the air. In some products, they can be trapped in a type of filter or plates that can be cleaned later.
Ionizers work off of similar principles, but use atomic charges to attract, trap, and neutralize particles in the air that passes through them. In both cases typically a fan is used to move air in a room and treat it.
There are quite a few products marketed and sold as “air purifiers” when in fact they’re not at all effective and aren’t proven to reduce allergy symptoms.
You need to avoid the others and get a quality filter-based product instead.
Filter based air purifiers work by moving air with a fan and trapping allergy and sickness-causing particles within it. The most important thing to know is that they permanently remove nasty elements from the air.
Unlike the air filter in a home’s central heating & cooling system, they use a much better type of filter to do so.
Believe me, if you think the air filter in your heating, ventilation, and air conditioning system (HVAC) is keeping your air safe and clean you’re very wrong! Home AC/heating filters are course and full of gaps which horrible dust, allergens, and even cancer-causing particles get into your breathing space!
Fortunately, there’s a great solution for this.
What is a HEPA filter?
A High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filter describes a type of dense air filter material that has to meet a standard set by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in the 1950s. It’s an industry standard that ensures a purifier’s filter meets a minimum level of efficiency and quality for air purification.
HEPA filters can trap elements as small as an amazing 0.3 micrometers in size. A micrometer is an incredibly small 1/1,000,000 of a meter! These filters are made up of very dense material that traps nearly all of the problem-causing particles in the air around you.
The result is air pushed out (via the fan in the purifier) that’s refreshingly pure and healthy!
Many HEPA filters in air purifiers sold today are part of a “3-in-1” design: they include an additional 2 filters with a pre-filter section and an active carbon section.
A pre-filter is great for removing larger materials like pet hair and larger dust. An active carbon filter section catches and neutralizes odors and chemical substances in the air which can be both unpleasant or harmful to your health.
Filter-based purifiers with a 3-in-1 design are excellent at removing allergy triggers as well as just about any type of irritant or odor that may disturb your quality of life at home.
I’ve been enjoying my GermGuardian HEPA air purifier at home for some time now and it has really helped my sneezing by dramatically reducing my dust problem! I also cough less, too.
★ The best affordable air purifiers for allergies ★
Our top picks at a glance
|Pure Enrichment PureZone||Check at Amazon|
|GermGuardian AC4825||Check at Amazon|
|GermGuardian AC4100||Check at Amazon|
|Hamilton Beach TrueAir||Check at Amazon|
|Holmes HAP9240||Check at Amazon|
Reviews and key features
1. PureZone 3-in-1 – One of the best all-around values. An excellent performer and fantastic choice!
The PureZone 3-in-1 from Pure Technologies is one of the best I’ve found in a long time. Why? For several great reasons.
It’s an all-around excellent value and solid performer. It also gives you more features than just about any other air purifier like it for around $100.
It features a true HEPA filter with a 3-in-1 filter design. The pre-filter and activated carbon filter also remove dust, allergens, and odors before they reach the main filter, extending its life.
It’s also one of the quietest purifiers sold today. Sound volume during operation is:
- Low: 30dB
- Medium: 30dB
- High: 50dB
…so you know in advance you won’t be disturbed by loud noise. Just good, quiet air purification to relieve your allergies and improve your quality of life.
The auto-timer features a convenient choice of 2, 4, or 8 hours of continuous unattended operation – just set it and go! It will stop by itself. That’s something many competitors don’t offer at that price.
Air filter access is easy and makes maintenance a breeze. The electronic control panel is sleek and works well.
Unlike less expensive models (for only a few dollars more) it includes electronic touch controls with clear LED indicators for operational modes. It’s small too at only 10.8” L x 6.9” W x 12.1” H in size.
The great news is that it also includes a UV-C germ-killing feature found in the comparable GermGuardian AC4825. While the Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) is lower than some competitors, it’s because it runs more quietly.
The disadvantage is it can’t fully clean a room’s air fully at the same rate, but that’s a relatively minor complaint.
It also has one of the best warranties in the industry at 5 years.
If you’re looking for an all-around winner with the most features and with great quality, this is one of the best choices – if not the best choice – you’ll find anywhere today.
- 200 sq. ft. room coverage (manufacturer’s rating)
- Electronic touch controls
- LED function indicators
- Selectable auto timer (2,4, 8 hours)
- Quiet operation – lower noise than others
- Germ killing UV feature
- Easy to use
- Great build quality
- Filter replacement light
- 3-in-1 design w/ pre-filter
- Good customer service
- Relatively small size
- 5 year warranty
- CADR rating (80) is lower than competitors
- Lower fan speed than others, takes longer cycle room air
- Auto timer has only 3 selectable settings (2, 4, 8 hours only, no single-hour option)
- Only 1 color offered (white)
It’s a great buy and well worth the affordable price.
2. GermGuardian AC4825 – A best-seller…reliable, dependable allergy relief for everyone.
A top seller with a proven reliability record and thousands of excellent buyer reviews, the AC4825 doesn’t include the same features as the PureZone 3-in-1 but does feature a higher Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR).
A true HEPA 3-in-1 filter design ensures it cleans your air well and leaves the room fresh and allergen & dust-free. The pre-filter and activated carbon filter work together to remove particles like dust as well as odors. With a CADR rating of 100+ it can clean a room’s air more quickly than others.
Take a look at why it’s one of the best well-rounded values today:
- True HEPA filter
- UV-C germ killing feature
- Super-easy filter maintenance
- Inexpensive replacement filters
- Separate pre-filter for reduced costs
- Filter check reminder feature
- Carrying handle for easy moving
- Available in white or the AC4900 style, too
- Lab tested CADR rating of 100+
- 155 sq. ft. room coverage
It’s a great overall value and an excellent choice. I’m a proud owner and you can read more about it in my detailed review here.
Controls are incredibly simple to use! There’s a reliable 3-speed rotary fan dial for operation, while the UV push button switches the germ killing feature on and off. A power LED illuminates when the purifier’s in use.
A 3-speed fan control is provided and a great choice for those who prefer simple controls & operation. The filter is easy to remove and replace by opening the rear door and simply swapping it out. A replacement reminder is included – the power light turns red when it’s time to check the filter.
When in use, the UV-C feature creates a lovely glow using the purifier’s specially designed trim ring. It’s a great looking way to show it’s turned on and I’ve really enjoyed it.
At 22 inches in height, it’s not a compact as others listed here but the small base size allows it to fit well in corners and small places where height is not an issue. Replacement filters cost about $30 and last approximately 6 months, depending upon use.
You can also find 3rd party brand filters which are cheaper.
- Simple 3-speed fan switch is great for nearly everyone
- Good overall value for performance & room size
- Great filtering performance
- Quiet fan operation on low speed setting
- Germ killing UV-C feature
- Filter replacement reminder
- Soft LED when power is on
- Vertical size is great for corner or areas with more vertical space
- Good room size coverage (155 square feet)
- 3-year limited warranty
- No auto-sensing modes
- No electronic controls
- No auto-off feature
- Cannot wash & reuse filter (note: pre-filter can be vacuumed)
- Design is less stylish and attractive than other competitors in its price range
- Warranty requires paying for return shipment for service
I personally own an AC4825 and now I understand why it’s a best seller. It’s well made, works great for cleaning the air, and is frustration-free. It’s pretty cheap to maintain, too.
Head over now to see why it's one of the all-time best selling purifiers today at Amazon.
Good news! You can now get the AC4825 we happy owners love in white as well.
Want some a bit different looking? Check out its twin, the sleek AC4900CA version here.
3. Hamilton Beach TrueAir Ultra Quiet – Affordable, compact, and quiet allergy relief.
Have a tighter budget? The Hamilton Beach TrueAir Ultra Quiet isn’t just affordable but also a well-made and compact popular model.
The genuine HEPA filter can be vacuumed clean. With the exception of heavy use, you won’t have to replace it as often as other products. You’ll not only save money for the upfront cost but in maintenance, too!
Controls are simple and easy to find on top. There’s an easy-access release for opening the filter for maintenance, too.
What I really like is how simple it is to use via the 3-speed rotary control. It’s a pretty quiet purifier, too, and you can sleep peacefully without worrying about being disturbed at night.
It’s small at only 8.5 x 13.5″ but the room coverage is a great 140 square feet. It’s a good choice for small rooms & offices.
One of the best things about the True Air is that it can be turned on its side to fit into smaller areas. Nice!
The Hamilton Beach TrueAir fits neatly into small spaces – especially shelves – as it can be used on its side. Remove the rear cover to vacuum the filter for extended life. It’s a great way to keep costs down.
Note that unlike the TrueAir Pet Specialized Cleaner version, there are no additional pre-filter sections. I don’t recommend it, therefore, for heavy dust or pet hair. In that case you should check out the pet version.
It’s available in both a nice black color and white as well. One weak point is the lack of odor absorption, so if bad smells are an issue in your room it’s not a good choice.
Otherwise, if you’re in the market for a small room purifier that’s affordable (below $50) and great for smaller rooms, it’s a great option.
- HEPA filter is effective for average dust and allergen removal
- Main (HEPA) filter can be vacuumed and reused – low maintenance costs
- Can be used on its side for even more convenience
- Quiet operation
- Nice design
- Simple 3-speed operation control
- Limited room size coverage
- No pre-filter or carbon filter section (not recommended for heavy hair or dust conditions)
- No power indicator lights or filter replacement reminder
- No sleep or auto-shut off mode
It’s a great choice if you’re looking for affordable allergy relief. Head over and check out the many happy buyer reviews today.
4. GermGuardian AC4100 3-in-1: Excellent compact small-room/dorm/office air cleaning with germ killing, too!
A great mid-price model, the AC4100 has an excellent reputation and is a great looking, well performing purifier.
Measuring only 7.5 x 6.5 x 11″ in size, it also uses a true HEPA filter & charcoal section to produce fresh, clean air. It’s an affordable way to remove the nasty substances found in your home, office, or dorm room.
Filter replacement on the AC4100 is easy! Simply remove the rear cover and pull out the old filter assembly. Then do the reverse to install a fresh replacement. As you can see mine removed quite a bit of dust from my air!
As an added bonus the UV light along with titanium dioxide kills germs to make your air more safe and prevent illness.
A replacement filter costs about $18 and there’s a filter installation date wheel on the rear to help you know when it’s time to replace it.
Operation is simple: a 3 speed fan contro. It’s quiet and generates a pleasing low noise level on the lowest setting. When set to high sound similar to white noise is produced.
There’s no memory feature for the UV-C control so you’ll have to manually switch it back on after turn the fan off.
- Simple 3-speed fan control and on/off UV-C switch
- UV & titanium dioxide design to kill germs
- Great filtering ability for its small size
- High speed setting moves a lot of air for purifying quickly
- Filter replacement reminder wheel (month installed)
- Low filter replacement price (about $19)
- UV-C feature remains on after power-on/off
- Sleek, modern design
- Filter replacement date wheel (marks month installed)
- 1 year warranty is shorter than other models
- Fan speed on high could be slightly better
- No filter replacement light
- No additional colors offered
Following the same great quality that has made GermGuardian purifiers some of the best today, it’s a great choice.
Definitely have a look at the excellent buyer reviews that helped it receive the Amazon's Choice rating.
5. Holmes HAP9240 HEPA-type desktop purifier – A great combination of performance, features, and price.
Looking for a competent but lower-priced choice? The Holmes HAP9240 may be exactly what you’ve been looking for. You’ll get a great compromise between performance, filter options, and price.
It’s not the smallest but measures a reasonable 14.8 x 11.4 x 7.2 inches in size.
Featuring a small size that’s perfect for countertops, shelves, and even desks, the Holmes can also be placed vertically on its back. The purifier features built-in rests on the rear to allow it to stand on its end.
For around $50 or so, it’s a good value. Check out the features:
- Near-HEPA air filter quality for less money (filters 99% of particles)
- Up to 100 sq. ft. room size coverage
- 3 cleaning speeds and low noise operation
- Filter reminder indicator light
- Optional ionizer feature
- Can be used in a vertical position
- Black color option (availability may vary)
- 3-year limited warranty
- Washable pre-filter
- Affordable replacement filters
- 12 month HEPA filter life
The Holmes desktop air purifier includes a washable filter and HEPA-type filter (left). (Right) Have special air cleaning needs? You’ve got some good options! Pick one of the 3 additional filter options for specialized air cleaning relief.
It uses a HEPA-type filter that’s similar to the filtering qualities of a true HEPA filter. The filter can remove 99% of all particles down to 2 microns in size (as opposed to the 0.3 micron standard of a genuine HEPA filter.)
It’s a budget model but still a good performer for many common air quality problems. The 2-micron particle size rating works well for pet dander, dust, and standard allergens.
I wouldn’t recommend it for cigarette smoke, however, at least not without a carbon filter.
Shown: The Holmes HAP9240 controls are super-simple to understand and use. The filter reminder (left) shows the filter condition and can be reset as needed. Right: The optional ionizer feature is as simple as an on/off switch with light. Center: Choose from Off or 3 fan speeds with low-noise operation.
A built-in ionizer with off/on control is an extra feature that produces a safe level of charged molecules that bond with pollutants in the air. While it’s not the main air cleaning contributor, it’s a nice touch you may enjoy.
Filter check reminder
At power up, the unit will check and show you if it’s time to check and clean or replace the filters using the dual-color light on the control panel. When needed, you can easily reset the check filter light using the reset button provided.
It’s unique in that the pre-stage filter can be removed and washed to be reused. Fan speed is adjustable and while not as quiet as the Levoit and others here, it does offer low noise when at low speed.
Room size coverage and air cleaning performance
It’s recommended for rooms up to 100 square feet in size – just right for small rooms! The air cleaning performance is good, too, as it removes allergens, dust, pet dander, and much more from the air very well.
While there are quieter models out there, you’ll pay at least $30-$40, and in my opinion, it’s very quiet on the lower 2 settings. Overall, it’s a nice little budget model I’m sure that’s a great match if you’re on a budget.
Just like experience with it, buyers love it, too, as it’s one of the best-reviewed budget purifiers today.
- One of the most affordable and biggest sellers on the market
- 100 sq. ft. room coverage
- Easy slide control switches & 3 speed settings
- Pre-stage filter can be cleaned and reused
- Low replacement filter cost
- Additional filter options
- Can be positioned vertically
- Includes ionizer with on/off control
- Lower cost version of a true HEPA filter with nearly the same standard of performance
- Available in black
- 3-year limited warranty
- Not as sophisticated as pricier models
- No germ-killing feature like the GermGuardian products offer
- Cannot turn off light indicators on panel
- Styling is more bland
Overall, it’s a very good budget air purifier that’s a great combination of price, performance, and features.
I’ve enjoyed mine and I’m sure you will, too! Be sure to No products found.
Choosing the best affordable air purifier for your allergies should be based on the following factors:
- Buy a quality product with a proven track record & reviews
- Filter-based purifiers (not ozone or ionizer types) are critical for best relief
- Pick a product with adequate room coverage for your room
- Choose a 3-in-1 filter design for best results
Have allergies due to pets? You can read more here as well:
Check out my detailed review of the air purifier I own and recommend: The GermGuardian AC4825. Find out why it’s one of the most popular sold today!